Friday, May 4, 2012

Our Bedtime Routine


The second your baby is born every baby book and doctor tells you to start a bedtime routine. Ours started with Mitch feeding Blythe a bottle at 6pm and then somewhere around 8 pm we would sit in her room and listen to “Somewhere over the Rainbow" by artists like Eric Clapton, Jewel, and Israel Kamakawiwo. We would rock her or take turns dancing with her. Then, it grew into Mitch giving Blythe a bath at 7:30 and then I would breastfeed her, rock her and sing “Somewhere over the Rainbow" and then put her to bed. As she got older and I stopped breastfeeding, Mitch would bathe her, feed her a bottle or sippy cup of formula or milk, and then I would rock her and sing or hum “Somewhere over the Rainbow". Now, Mitch gives her a bath at 7 -7:30 and they listen to music and play, then he puts lotion on her and puts her in her jam jams, then I come in and read her Goodnight Moon, she loves to point at the pictures. After we read, I rock her and sing or hum “Somewhere over the Rainbow" and now she hums along with me. This is the sweetest part of my day and I love that she knows our little traditions and now participates in them as well. As hard as it is a first it is well worth setting the bedtime routine. "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" will always be our little lullaby that we share together.

No comments:

Post a Comment